Navigating an Ocean of Data, Delivering a World of Possibilities
Saildrone is a US business that designs, manufactures and operates a fleet of the world’s most capable, proven and trusted, uncrewed surface vehicles (USVs). Predominantly powered by wind and solar, Saildrone USVs have a minimal carbon footprint, and are equipped with advanced sensors and AI technology to deliver critical data and intelligence from any ocean, at any time of year. Solutions include maritime domain awareness, ocean data and ocean mapping. Saildrone operations and data collection services are encrypted and secure.
Saildrone's patented wing technology was born from 10 years of R&D in pursuit of the land speed record. The company is headquartered in Alameda, CA, and backed by The Schmidt Family Foundation, Social Capital, Capricorn’s Technology Impact Fund, Lux Capital, Exor Seeds, and Horizons Ventures.
Ocean Drones Launched in Lake Superior to Support $7B Great Lakes Fishery
Collecting data to improve fish counts, monitor environmental health, and help to protect native fish species.
August 10, 2022Read More
Hurricane Drones Bravely Heading Back to the Atlantic… And the Gulf of Mexico
In partnership with NOAA, Saildrone is again launching a fleet of ocean drones to collect critical hurricane data to make coastal communities safer.
August 3, 2022Read More
Navy League of the United States Recognizes Ocean Drone Technology with Annual Innovation Award
The award was presented to Saildrone Founder and CEO Richard Jenkins at the Sea Air Space conference, held April 4 – 6, 2022.
April 5, 2022Read More
The Future of Long-endurance Low-carbon Survey is Here: Sulmara Inks Services Agreement for 10 Saildrone Voyager USVs
Saildrone and Sulmara commit to growing the adoption of USV survey in the offshore energy sector across the globe.
March 9, 2022Read More
Saildrone’s New Ocean Mapping HQ to Support Critical Florida Coastline Initiatives
Known for their 2021 groundbreaking video from inside a category 4 hurricane, Saildrone is broadening its efforts to keep coastal communities in the region safe.
March 2, 2022Read More
Writing About Saildrone
Saildrone (capitalized) refers to the company Saildrone, Inc. and should be capitalized.
The vehicle, saildrone, is written in lower case. Specific saildrones are known by their number, i.e. SD 1020.
Saildrone Explorer and Saildrone Surveyor are capitalized.
Saildrones may also be referred to as unmanned surface vehicles (USVs) or ocean drones.
- Saildrones are wind and solar powered
- A trim tab on the tail adjusts the wing angle to the wind similarto how an elevator trim tab controls the pitch of an aircraft
- Saildrone has two base vehicles:
Saildrone Explorer – the hull is 7 m (23 ft) long, the wing is 4.5 m (15 ft) tall, the keel draws 1.8 m (6 ft)
Saildrone Surveyor – the hull is 22 m (72 ft), the wing is 18 m (59 ft), the keel draws 4 m (13 ft)
- Saildrone’s current fleet is made up of Generation 5 & 6 Saildrone Explorers and the Surveyor
- Saildrones are designed for missions of up to 12 months
- Saildrone USVs navigate autonomously from prescribed waypoint to waypoint while staying within a user-defined safety corridor, though actively supervised by a Saildrone Mission Control operator
- Saildrone USVs carry approximately 20 science sensors to collect in-situ meteorological and oceanographic data
- Saildrone USVs are not for sale; Saildrone offers mission-as-a-service (MAAS) and data-as-a-service (DAAS) solutions
- Saildrone has operated Arctic, Antarctic, Pacific, Atlantic, and coastal missions collecting data related to weather and climate science, carbon uptake, sustainable fisheries management, animal tracking, satellite calibration and validation, oil detection, and bathymetry