Navigating an Ocean of Data, Delivering a World of Possibilities
Saildrone is a US business that designs, manufactures and operates a fleet of the world’s most capable, proven and trusted, uncrewed surface vehicles (USVs). Predominantly powered by wind and solar, Saildrone USVs have a minimal carbon footprint, and are equipped with advanced sensors and AI technology to deliver critical data and intelligence from any ocean, at any time of year. Solutions include maritime domain awareness, ocean data and ocean mapping. Saildrone operations and data collection services are encrypted and secure.
Saildrone's patented wing technology was born from 10 years of R&D in pursuit of the land speed record. The company is headquartered in Alameda, CA, and backed by The Schmidt Family Foundation, Social Capital, Capricorn’s Technology Impact Fund, Lux Capital, Exor Seeds, and Horizons Ventures.
Ocean Drones Brave Hurricanes to Make Coastal Communities Safer
In partnership with NOAA, Saildrone will launch five ocean drones to collect in situ scientific data from hurricanes.
June 1, 2021Read More
Pioneering Study to Improve Weather Prediction and Global Carbon Budget Understanding
Google.org supports Saildrone’s ambitious mission to collect year-round ocean data in the turbulent waters of the Gulf Stream.
April 13, 2021Read More
Introducing the Saildrone Surveyor
Saildrone launches the world’s largest and most advanced autonomous surface vehicle for ocean exploration.
January 11, 2021Read More
Writing About Saildrone
Saildrone (capitalized) refers to the company Saildrone, Inc. and should be capitalized.
The vehicle, saildrone, is written in lower case. Specific saildrones are known by their number, i.e. SD 1020.
Saildrone Explorer and Saildrone Surveyor are capitalized.
Saildrones may also be referred to as unmanned surface vehicles (USVs) or ocean drones.
- Saildrones are wind and solar powered
- A trim tab on the tail adjusts the wing angle to the wind similarto how an elevator trim tab controls the pitch of an aircraft
- Saildrone has two base vehicles:
Saildrone Explorer – the hull is 7 m (23 ft) long, the wing is 4.5 m (15 ft) tall, the keel draws 1.8 m (6 ft)
Saildrone Surveyor – the hull is 22 m (72 ft), the wing is 18 m (59 ft), the keel draws 4 m (13 ft)
- Saildrone’s current fleet is made up of Generation 5 & 6 Saildrone Explorers and the Surveyor
- Saildrones are designed for missions of up to 12 months
- Saildrone USVs navigate autonomously from prescribed waypoint to waypoint while staying within a user-defined safety corridor, though actively supervised by a Saildrone Mission Control operator
- Saildrone USVs carry approximately 20 science sensors to collect in-situ meteorological and oceanographic data
- Saildrone USVs are not for sale; Saildrone offers mission-as-a-service (MAAS) and data-as-a-service (DAAS) solutions
- Saildrone has operated Arctic, Antarctic, Pacific, Atlantic, and coastal missions collecting data related to weather and climate science, carbon uptake, sustainable fisheries management, animal tracking, satellite calibration and validation, oil detection, and bathymetry